BREEAM has been developed as a cost-effective way of integrating sustainable value into development. It encourages developers, designers and occupiers to make the best use of natural resources and it sets the standard for best practice.
The Hilsdon Holmes team has delivered successful BREEAM Assessments throughout England and Wales across a broad range of builds; our team is acknowledged and professionally respected for the quality of the Assessments we produce.
We use the Global Standard because it carries the highest prestige as an environmental rating system for public and commercial sites.
Information about the BREEAM Assessment
BREEAM assessments evaluate the construction, design, operation, procurement and development of a build against a series of performance-related targets:
- Health and wellbeing
- Land use and ecology
Why Do I Need a BREEAM assessment?
The BREEAM assessment provides developers, designers and building managers with evidence of the inbuilt sustainability of their building. BREEAM interrogates sustainability and environmental issues comprehensively and – as such – it lends great integrity to your project in the eyes of clients and planners.
BREEAM schemes may apply to new construction on:
- Commercial buildings – Offices/ Industrial/ Retail.
- Public Buildings – Education/ Healthcare/ Prisons/ Law Courts.
- Multi-Residential Accommodation/ Supported Living.
- Other Buildings – Residential institutions (short term stay), non-residential institutions, assembly and leisure along with a number of other building types including bespoke.
BREEAM provides a range of options for assessing Commercial Building Types:
- Fully fitted
- Shell and core
- Shell only
Where options 2 or 3 are chosen, the BREEAM UK Refurbishment Scheme provides a follow-on. This means that a BREEAM rating for the whole building can be provided, if required.
BREEAM UK Refurbishment Schemes includes:
- BREEAM UK Domestic Refurbishment.
- BREEAM UK Non-Domestic Refurbishment & Fit Out – this applies to existing buildings, or to the fit-out stage of buildings which have been previously certified shell or shell/core projects.
What BREEAM Services do we Offer?
Hilsdon Holmes BREEAM services include:
- BREEAM Pre Assessments.
- Design stage assessments – leading to Interim certification.
- Post construction stage reviews – leading to final certification.
- Comprehensive sustainability statements.
- Planning discharge reports.
- Contractor assistance package.
What Kinds of Builds are Subject to BREEAM Standards?
As with the majority of sustainability initiatives, BREEAM is supported and/or required by an increasing number of government departments and public bodies.
BREEAM and Healthcare
As of 1st July 2008 the following Health Authorities announced the requirement that all new health- sector buildings seeking Outline of Business Case approval needed to make a commitment to achieving an ‘Excellent’ BREEAM rating:
- Department of Health
- NHS Wales
- Scottish Government Health Directives
- Department of Health Social Services and Public Safety for Northern Ireland
Additionally, all health-sector building seeking approval to proceed with refurbishments will need to show a commitment to achieving a ‘Very Good’ rating.
BREEAM and Education
BREEAM requirements have been set for school building projects; the minimum BREEAM rating to which schools must commit is dependent upon the categorisation of the build into:
- New builds
- Build value
When the ‘Building Schools for the Future’ capital procurement programme was operating, schools were required to commit to achieving a ‘Very Good’ rating. We would expect to see similar requirements for current and future government supported schools programmes.
We’re Here to Help
Hilsdon Holmes is here to help with your tendering process. We will work with you to accurately and effectively price and bid for projects in the public and commercial sectors.
You can trust our BREEAM Assessors; they are highly qualified, experienced, easy to talk to – and most of all, they’re willing to go the extra mile to support you!